Monday, September 12, 2011

#1 - MO RANCH

"I've got Trinity Choir lovin' for..." everyone in the Trinity Choir. :)

This past weekend, the Chamber Singers and the Trinity Choir went on their annual retreat to Mo Ranch. We rehearsed, we ate, we played, we sang, we stayed up late, we laughed, and overall had a grand ol' time. I know in my introduction blog post, I indicated that this post would cover my feelings towards the German text of two songs I will be singing this semester, but I find that German text will always be German text, and can wait until a later post, while Mo Ranch is a once-a-year event, the story of which will be best related on the day I returned.

During rehearsal, we spent a good chunk of time working on our seven-movement segakoorile called Sugismaastikud...which is Estonian for "Autumn Landscapes." I can't find a definition for "segakoorile," but I have learned that "segama" is the Estonian infinitive for the English word "stir," and that "koor" is the Estonian word for "choir." There has to be a connection there somewhere. Now, I sing second soprano. When I auditioned for Dr. Seighman, he found out what my range is, and since he liked my high voice, asked whether I preferred to sing first (soprano) or second. I said I'd rather sing second (because I enjoy singing harmony, and first soprano is always the melody), but now I'm rather regretting my words, because at the end of the last movement of the segakoorile, the first sopranos sing a high C. The high C is also called the "soprano C"...it is also called "C6" because it is the sixth octave on the piano...and it is also two octaves above middle C. It takes a very soprano-y soprano to be able to hit that C. Altos as a general rule can't sing much higher than a G5, if they can reach that high in the first place. I don't want to brag, but I can indeed hit the C6, and I very much wish I could sing first soprano in this Estonian piece, for the sheer sake of hitting a high C at the very end of it. Instead I must sing no higher than an A, and I am slightly disappointed. Ah well. Such is life.

On the bright side, I get to sing a seven-movement choral piece in ESTONIAN. How cool is that???





Creative Commons License
The whole group! by Alexa Harrison is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.

No comments:

Post a Comment